Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The p/p hegemony continues unabated

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

And those were both schools playing up already due to SF. 

Starting next year, the Indy Diocese is going to consider Mooresville a Parochial school as well.  That's the only way beating Roncalli and Brebeuf in back to back weeks can be explained. 

I hear they might be also looking into East Central too! After beating archdiocese of Indianapolis and Cincinnati schools plus they are in St. Leon!

3 minutes ago, cloudofdust said:

It's obvious they fare better at the 1A-3A level because they can control their enrollment.

Any help you can provide Indy Lutheran would be appreciated.  They'd like to "control their enrollment" up about 50-70 students.  Building holds 400, but staff/course offerings are optimized at about 320.  Last enrollment figures were 245.  Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kdets89 said:

Any help you can provide Indy Lutheran would be appreciated.  They'd like to "control their enrollment" up about 50-70 students.  Building holds 400, but staff/course offerings are optimized at about 320.  Last enrollment figures were 245.  Thanks in advance.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  If there is extra enrollment being thrown around, send some Chatard's way.  Building holds 850, and the closer they are to that number, the better the school can fulfill its mission.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cloudofdust said:

It's obvious they fare better at the 1A-3A level because they can control their enrollment. The quality of student/athlete is just different.

The solution is to move them all up a class. No P/P should ever be competing at a 1A level and it's been proven through SF that they can compete at higher levels.

The problem is, the powers that be don't care because the big schools don't care. They have the enrollment numbers and funds to overcome.

I think Providence and Park Tudor have shown over the years they are right where they belong. This year was an up year, but they have ebbed and flowed just like their Public school counterparts.

I see we have a number of p/p zealots whining about decreased enrollment in their buildings.  Why is this?  Is tuition to expensive?  Are the academic/religious/behavior expectations too strict compared to their government school counterparts?   Are families not producing enough new Catholics/Christians/Lutherans/etc. to fill the halls?

1 hour ago, JQWL said:

6A-12.5% of sectionals were won by privates. 0% of regionals, semi-states, state were won by privates.

4A-12.5% of sectionals were won by privates. 0% of regionals, semi-states, state were won by privates.

3A-12.5% of sectionals were won by privates. 25% of regionals were won by privates, 50% of semi-states were won by privates, 100% of state championships were won by privates.

2A-25% of sectionals were won by privates. 50% of regionals were won by privates, 50% of semi-states were won by privates, 100% of state championships were won by privates.

1A-37.5% of sectionals were won by privates, 25% of regionals were won by privates, 50% of semi-states were won by privates 100% of state championships were won by privates.

State wide:

12.5% of all sectionals won by privates, 16.7% of all regionals won by privates, 33.3% of all semi-states won by privates,, 50% of all state championships won by privates.

Private Schools make up 7% of all football schools.

These numbers would probably be a little higher if the officials in the North Posey/Mater Dei sectional semi-final could count to 12 on the final play.

Those are sure impressive privates....

29 minutes ago, cloudofdust said:

It's obvious they fare better at the 1A-3A level because they can control their enrollment. The quality of student/athlete is just different.

The solution is to move them all up a class. No P/P should ever be competing at a 1A level and it's been proven through SF that they can compete at higher levels.

The problem is, the powers that be don't care because the big schools don't care. They have the enrollment numbers and funds to overcome.

Move them all up a class?  Should Hammond Noll be moved up?  If the P/P's all went 0-10 every year in football, I'm sure you would think the system was just fine.

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I see we have a number of p/p zealots whining about decreased enrollment in their buildings.  Why is this?  Is tuition to expensive?  Are the academic/religious/behavior expectations too strict compared to their government school counterparts?   Are families not producing enough new Catholics/Christians/Lutherans/etc. to fill the halls?

We control the enrollment. All your theories are true. The board of the school actually meets before every school year and decides which athletes are getting free tuition, and final cuts are made to bring the total enrollment down to desired levels specifically for football classification. It’s usually the theatre nerds that don’t make the final cut. Their loss.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

Simple, lower tuition and standards.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Whitehat said:

We control the enrollment. All your theories are true. The board of the school actually meets before every school year and decides which athletes are getting free tuition, and final cuts are made to bring the total enrollment down to desired levels specifically for football classification. It’s usually the theatre nerds that don’t make the final cut. Their loss.

I get making a joke about this question but it's a legitimate question. Why is enrollment down at these schools? Is it public schools in the area are a better option than they used to be? Some of these are saying their building can hold 850 but are only at 600. That's a huge disparity. 

The enrollment is down at all 3 of our county schools and surrounding counties. It's not because they're enrolling at private schools, as there are none in the area. It's because there are fewer school age people in the county due to many jobs no longer being in the county.

16 minutes ago, Whitehat said:

There's always a grain of truth in any rumor.

You can't tell me there aren't discussions when it comes to athletics.

Success breeds success and success means money. Plain and simple.

24 minutes ago, Whitehat said:

Thank you for confirming that.

You forget the special education kids as well.  Too expensive to keep around.

15 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I get making a joke about this question but it's a legitimate question. Why is enrollment down at these schools? Is it public schools in the area are a better option than they used to be? Some of these are saying their building can hold 850 but are only at 600. That's a huge disparity. 

The enrollment is down at all 3 of our county schools and surrounding counties. It's not because they're enrolling at private schools, as there are none in the area. It's because there are fewer school age people in the county due to many jobs no longer being in the county.

Covid was the impetus for many parents to realize that "traditional school", be it run by the government or a private/parochial entity, may not be the best environment for their children's education.  Hence the drop in traditional school enrollment across the nation:

https://fortune.com/2023/02/09/how-much-did-enrollment-drop-k-12-high-school-pandemic-covid-education/

https://apnews.com/article/homeschool-diploma-louisiana-nonpublic-school-a37a44dab69f11e2c37132549f9cd450

Edited by Muda69

51 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I think Providence and Park Tudor have shown over the years they are right where they belong. This year was an up year, but they have ebbed and flowed just like their Public school counterparts.

Did park Tudor just come down from 2A? I know Providence did. This is thier 1st cycle in 1A that I can remember and they lost to state Champs in regional both years. 

On 11/25/2023 at 3:10 PM, JQWL said:

This might fall victim to an equal protection lawsuit.  Orgs like the IHSAA, although formally private, are considered under law to be state actors.

As I recall, putting p/p’s in a separate class was put forward when the success factor was implemented.  And the IHSAA received legal advice that it could be susceptible to litigation.

17 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I get making a joke about this question but it's a legitimate question.

It really isn't to anyone with a basic understanding of economics or cost accounting.  Pure fantasy.

13 minutes ago, cloudofdust said:

You can't tell me there aren't discussions when it comes to athletics.

Yes, we can.  And have.  Several times.