Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best High School QB you have personally witnessed play in the last decade.

23 hours ago, CoachMack219 said:

In Person Viewing from me...

Decade: Noah Ehrlich 

All Time: Matt Desomer 

Virtual Viewing from me (live or archived)...

Decade: Brady Allen 

All Time: Tommy Finn  

I believe Tommy played baseball at Northwestern. He was a GREAT High School QB. 

6 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I believe Tommy played baseball at Northwestern. He was a GREAT High School QB. 

Yes he was. Such a shame I've only seen him "virtually" or via stream/ archived film. Would've loved to be old enough and "wise enough" to have watched him through my current lens when he was at 5959 Broadway. 

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Thanks! I've finally reached the age where guys I watched at Purdue now have kids playing HS football. 

Know what you mean.  Retired from youth coaching back around 2020 when COVID wiped out the season. I realized that COVID was just the catalyst when I attended an LCC scrimmage with Harrison a couple of years later and I'm going down the LCC varsity roster looking at all the kids that I had coached in the youth program that were playing varsity.  I then looked at the coaching staff and realized that four of their coaches were kids that I had coached in the youth program.  Was definitely time for me to pass the reins with or without COVID.

• Like 1

In person the last decade was Kiser as Pioneer beat my brother's team his senior season at semi state. Worst weather for football that I have endured. Before that, Nick Zachery being the same grade as myself and just torching us at semi state as a freshman. 

Live viewing:

Decade: Brady Allen ( only because Matt DeSomer is outside the 10 yrs)

All Time: Tommy Finn ( He was the best clutch player I’ve seen in high school sports). When a play had to be made in football and baseball, he always delivered. Just unbelievable! 

Desomer was better pure athlete than Finn but Tommy Finn had the “it” factor.

Not in the last decade, and I don’t know about the “best QB,” but I saw Warren’s Desmond Tardy put a 300 yd. rushing game on Penn in the 2003 5A championship game. Thought I’d never see a QB performance like that again. And I didn’t … for almost 3 yrs. Then came the 2006 Regional at New Prairie. The absolute worst field conditions I’ve ever seen — and I once lost a shoe in the mud at a college game. Torrents of freezing rain, and then the temperature dropped 20 degrees, creating a bog with frozen ruts. Could barely stand upright on the field, except for one guy. The Norwell QB — a guy named Chandler Harnish — dominated the field that night. I have no idea how many yards rushing he had, or how many TDs, but Norwell won 49-20. How he did it on that field, I’ll never know. We checked his cleats — twice. Never saw anything like it before or since.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bobref said:

Not in the last decade, and I don’t know about the “best QB,” but I saw Warren’s Desmond Tardy put a 300 yd. rushing game on Penn in the 2003 5A championship game. Thought I’d never see a QB performance like that again. And I didn’t … for almost 3 yrs. Then came the 2006 Regional at New Prairie. The absolute worst field conditions I’ve ever seen — and I once lost a shoe in the mud at a college game. Torrents of freezing rain, and then the temperature dropped 20 degrees, creating a bog with frozen ruts. Could barely stand upright on the field, except for one guy. The Norwell QB — a guy named Chandler Harnish — dominated the field that night. I have no idea how many yards rushing he had, or how many TDs, but Norwell won 49-20. How he did it on that field, I’ll never know. We checked his cleats — twice. Never saw anything like it before or since.

Guessing he also played backyard football in similar conditions at birthday parties. Probably a common occurrence in Adams & Wells Counties. Probably also got yelled at for playing in the worked up fields & gardens too when they were muddy. Why I'm surprised 3 of the 6 went to turf when they have an advantage with grass.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Guessing he also played backyard football in similar conditions at birthday parties. Probably a common occurrence in Adams & Wells Counties. Probably also got yelled at for playing in the worked up fields & gardens too when they were muddy. Why I'm surprised 3 of the 6 went to turf when they have an advantage with grass.

He was a pretty good player at Northern Illinois on any surface. Set several school records and was a multi-year starter. Had a cup of coffee in the NFL, as I recall.

• Like 1

Last decade…probably a tie between Brady Allen and Michael Lindauer.  They were both very good.  Allen had the better arm, but Lindauer was fast as hell.

All-Time…I’ll go with Rick Mirer.  I watched him play in the North/South game.  He was on a different level.  I watched Cutler play too.  But I thought Mirer was better at that age.

On 5/9/2024 at 1:16 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

10 years ago was like 87-88 wasn’t it?

if you responding to me....I just followed suit with listing both decade and all-time.  

and if you're referencing Blair Kiel...well before 87-88....try 80-81.  

12 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

if you responding to me....I just followed suit with listing both decade and all-time.  

and if you're referencing Blair Kiel...well before 87-88....try 80-81.  

It was a joke aimed at no one except myself. Yea, I’m quite familiar with the Kiels, I played against them. 

8 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

It was a joke aimed at no one except myself. Yea, I’m quite familiar with the Kiels, I played against them. 

Well, we have something in common

In person as a fan/chain gang member is Bronson Yoder from Northwood.  Not only did he singlehandedly beat us but observing him on the sidelines and his leadership impressed me just as much as his physical ability.

As a player I played Dan Brandenberg from Rensselaer.  He was a one man wrecking crew.  I went in to tackle him and with some help from my teammates we brought him down my face mask was removed from my helmet on the hit.  

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 1:59 PM, Plymouthfan91 said:

As a player I played Dan Brandenberg from Rensselaer.  He was a one man wrecking crew.  I went in to tackle him and with some help from my teammates we brought him down my face mask was removed from my helmet on the hit.  

Dan Brandenberg will be joining his father in the IFCA Hall of Fame with a Region 4 induction at the National Football Foundation hosted at Purdue this summer.   

Still the only player in RCHS history to be drafted in the NFL.   

On 5/8/2024 at 10:22 PM, Basementbias said:

In person the last decade was Kiser as Pioneer beat my brother's team his senior season at semi state. Worst weather for football that I have endured. Before that, Nick Zachery being the same grade as myself and just torching us at semi state as a freshman. 

And PFF has Kiser as the highest rated returning linebacker in college football for 2024.  
From QB at Pioneer to 3-yr starting linebacker at Notre Dame. Kind of crazy. 

2 hours ago, RingLeader said:

And PFF has Kiser as the highest rated returning linebacker in college football for 2024.  
From QB at Pioneer to 3-yr starting linebacker at Notre Dame. Kind of crazy. 

Definitely. Both Kiser & Zachery prevented state finals trips for my brother and I. What those 2 did in 1A along with with these 3 Lutheran teams of late is impressive. 

On 5/14/2024 at 9:40 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Dan Brandenberg will be joining his father in the IFCA Hall of Fame with a Region 4 induction at the National Football Foundation hosted at Purdue this summer.   

Still the only player in RCHS history to be drafted in the NFL.   

Dan was a badass basketball player too. I watched him throw down a bunch of dunks on Lafayette Jeffs in a regional game. They couldn’t stop him and after a while just kinda stood and watched. He was like a vanilla Charles Barkley, I swear to God he was!

• Like 1