Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big Ten = no football

Julio

Just now, Muda69 said:

Nice to know the university Presidents are still in control at these major institutions, and not the extra-curricular athletic departments.

I agree.  But look for a dearth of 'retirements' in the next few years. 

It's still all about $$$

9 minutes ago, LCCAlum said:

IHSAA will feel a lot of pressure now, but I believe the IHSAA is hellbent on pressing forward.

Why? The IHSAA doesn’t have to worry about crossing state lines and most conferences kind of have their own Local Bubble. Big Ten canceling is all about liability on the owners, which the liability for high school sports falls on the students, parents, and local medical officers. 

4 minutes ago, Julio said:

Hey Gipper are those the same people that said prescription pain killers are non addicted?

That makes no sense whatsoever.  Please understand that every virus, strain, etc. is totally different and this one is a very serious one.  

Yes it does, doctors and scientists are human.  They have the tendency to lie, make mistakes, provide false data,  or just go with the current flow.  I know it is serious, but to make a blank statement post like yours is not always true.

19 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

I agree.  But look for a dearth of 'retirements' in the next few years. 

It's still all about $$$

A part of this seems to be concern of college players "organizing" as part of the conditions of pushing forward this season ... that was one of the big parts of the WeWantToPlay.  That would likely have pushed them closer to being "employees" as opposed to amateur athletes, or at a minimum giving more negotiation strength ... and that could provide all kinds of non virus-related issues for NCAA and schools moving forward.  For the record, I'm not siding with or against the schools or the athletes; just stating that I think that the decision was not entirely related to virus concerns. 

image.png.3f8917d0165cde55ae62712b8f6e1512.png

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

Why? The IHSAA doesn’t have to worry about crossing state lines and most conferences kind of have their own Local Bubble. Big Ten canceling is all about liability on the owners, which the liability for high school sports falls on the students, parents, and local medical officers. 

You forgot profitability. 

• Like 1

And this proves the profitability theory.  It was never about player safety or the well-being of kids.

Barry Alvarez says on BTN that Big Ten schools will continue with 20-hour weeks through the fall. This comes out an hour and a half after the conference announced its decision.

48 minutes ago, foxbat said:

A part of this seems to be concern of college players "organizing" as part of the conditions of pushing forward this season ... that was one of the big parts of the WeWantToPlay.  That would likely have pushed them closer to being "employees" as opposed to amateur athletes, or at a minimum giving more negotiation strength ... and that could provide all kinds of non virus-related issues for NCAA and schools moving forward.  For the record, I'm not siding with or against the schools or the athletes; just stating that I think that the decision was not entirely related to virus concerns. 

image.png.3f8917d0165cde55ae62712b8f6e1512.png

I couldn’t agree more. This decision pulls the teeth of a movement that the schools — to their credit —  realized posed a legitimate threat to the established order. Today, Covid-19. Tomorrow, who knows what?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Nice to know the university Presidents are still in control at these major institutions, and not the extra-curricular athletic departments.

If you are in charge of a huge organization and don’t listen to your department heads, you won’t be in charge for long. 

2 minutes ago, OldschoolFB said:

If you are in charge of a huge organization and don’t listen to your department heads, you won’t be in charge for long. 

“Listening to” and “agreeing with” are not the same thing. The university President and Board are charged with big picture responsibilities ... much greater than the department level view.

• Like 1
  • Sit and spin 1

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

That makes no sense whatsoever.  Please understand that every virus, strain, etc. is totally different and this one is a very serious one.  

If that answer makes no sense to you then you are not qualified to be talking about this topic.  
Please understand that this virus is serious.  However so are many others.  This one is only very very serious as of late  

• Disdain 1

53 minutes ago, OldschoolFB said:

If that answer makes no sense to you then you are not qualified to be talking about this topic.  
Please understand that this virus is serious.  However so are many others.  This one is only very very serious as of late  

I think I’ll be OK.

As you were.

PAC-12 makes it 40% of Power5.  The statements from the SEC and ACC look like they are leaving wiggle room.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/acc-and-sec-issue-statements-after-big-ten-and-pac-12-s-decision-to-postpone-223435749.html

FTA:

Both the ACC and SEC said they would continue to make decisions about a fall football season based on the advice of their medical professionals in the wake of the Big Ten and Pac-12’s decisions to not play football in 2020.

“I look forward to learning more about the factors that led the Big Ten and Pac-12 leadership to take these actions today,” SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement. “I remain comfortable with the thorough and deliberate approach that the SEC and our 14 members are taking to support a healthy environment for our student-athletes. We will continue to further refine our policies and protocols for a safe return to sports as we monitor developments around COVID-19 in a continued effort to support, educate and care for our student-athletes every day.”

“The ACC will continue to make decisions based on medical advice, inclusive of our medical advisory group, local and state health guidelines, and do so in a way that appropriately coincides with our universities’ academic missions,” the conference said.

“The safety of our students, staff and overall campus communities will always be our top priority, and we are pleased with the protocols being administered on our 15 campuses. We will continue to follow our process that has been in place for months and has served us well.”

“We understand the need to stay flexible and be prepared to adjust as medical information and the landscape evolves.”

The Big 12 is the other Power Five conference tentatively planning to play football in the fall. It has not released a schedule for its teams.

Fast forward to the year 2023. A guy who was once slated to be a Top 10 NFL pick at left tackle from Alabama is sitting in a courtroom, the plaintiff in a multi million dollar lawsuit against the University and the SEC. Although every other conference decided to sit it out until Spring, the SEC went ahead and had a Fall season. The kid contracted COVID-19 and, unfortunately, was one of the ones who experienced serious and permanent cardiac damage. His NFL career derailed, he’s now looking for a different kind of payday.

He’s sitting there listening to the President of the University on the witness stand trying to convince a jury that he took the safety of the student athletes seriously, even though every other football conference canceled or postponed. How do you think he’ll do?

These are the kinds of scenarios that cause University presidents to wake up in a cold sweat.

This is the beginning of Nebraska's move back to the Big 12.  They may take Iowa with them.  Nebraska and Iowa are the only two Big Ten schools to vote against cancellation of football season.  They are border rivals and fit the Big 12 footprint perfectly

1 hour ago, DT said:

This is the beginning of Nebraska's move back to the Big 12.  They may take Iowa with them.  Nebraska and Iowa are the only two Big Ten schools to vote against cancellation of football season.  They are border rivals and fit the Big 12 footprint perfectly

hard to argue the logic and if those presidents are that upset about this decision, then perhaps the B10 heads back to being closer to the Big 10 instead of Big 14 !!   

5 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Saw a report that said Ohio State is looking to change conferences for this season so it can still play football.  Wonder how that will impact the Big Ten network and contract?  Can they actually do that?

Nebraska is doing the same thing. Options are quickly running out. My guess is the SEC would let OSU in. Nebraska back in the Big 12 for a year? 

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

Fast forward to the year 2023. A guy who was once slated to be a Top 10 NFL pick at left tackle from Alabama is sitting in a courtroom, the plaintiff in a multi million dollar lawsuit against the University and the SEC. Although every other conference decided to sit it out until Spring, the SEC went ahead and had a Fall season. The kid contracted COVID-19 and, unfortunately, was one of the ones who experienced serious and permanent cardiac damage. His NFL career derailed, he’s now looking for a different kind of payday.

He’s sitting there listening to the President of the University on the witness stand trying to convince a jury that he took the safety of the student athletes seriously, even though every other football conference canceled or postponed. How do you think he’ll do?

These are the kinds of scenarios that cause University presidents to wake up in a cold sweat.

So the University of Alabama illegally coerced or forced this left tackle to play?

• Thanks 1