Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Are seniors allowed to play JV

7 hours ago, DT said:

I'm so sick and tired of this bleeding heart military crap.   I'm sure the kid is a fine young man.  But as a senior, he had his chance and didn't make it.  Now he is taking valuable developmental time away from an underclassmen

Do the honorable thing seniors.  Step aside and let the young kids have their chance to shine.  

Let's not forget that military service is also the last resort for many who couldn't make it in the non military world

One of the seniors that graduated in 2018 rode his bike 6 miles one way to practice every single day during the summer his jr and sr year, never missed a single summer practice or weight lifting session while working his jr and senior year. He bought his own vehicle...paid for his cell phone, insurance and gas...had an absolutely terrible home life, his father is currently in michigan city, living there not because he wants to...if you catch my drift. He was a manager in basketball and played JV baseball too. He rarely played.  He's a character kid... The sports teams have him a sense of family that he was missing. 

The boy that joined the military played JV as a jr and a sr. He started the two sectional games winamac had that year due to injury. Him and the kid above coming out their senior year ALLOWED winamac to have a junior varsity team.. so honestly their selflessness allowed underclassmen to get reps. He also got accepted into purdue, ball state and so on. He chose to join the military cause that was his dream due to having other relatives In it + the free college. 

The 3rd kid never missed a single morning basketball work out or practice in his 4 years, is an outstanding young man. He came out his senior year to help with numbers and helped winamac have atleast 2 jv games last year. 

This website is to promote high school kids. You routinely do not .. your dumb contraction posts, you insulting kids by saying they have no pride. You are a grown a** man. Do you not have any pride in yourself? Cause if you did. You wouldn't spend 75 percent of the time insulting kids on here. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

One of the seniors that graduated in 2018 rode his bike 6 miles one way to practice every single day during the summer his jr and sr year, never missed a single summer practice or weight lifting session while working his jr and senior year. He bought his own vehicle...paid for his cell phone, insurance and gas...had an absolutely terrible home life, his father is currently in michigan city, living there not because he wants to...if you catch my drift. He was a manager in basketball and played JV baseball too. He rarely played.  He's a character kid... The sports teams have him a sense of family that he was missing. 

The boy that joined the military played JV as a jr and a sr. He started the two sectional games winamac had that year due to injury. Him and the kid above coming out their senior year ALLOWED winamac to have a junior varsity team.. so honestly their selflessness allowed underclassmen to get reps. He also got accepted into purdue, ball state and so on. He chose to join the military cause that was his dream due to having other relatives In it + the free college. 

The 3rd kid never missed a single morning basketball work out or practice in his 4 years, is an outstanding young man. He came out his senior year to help with numbers and helped winamac have atleast 2 jv games last year. 

This website is to promote high school kids. You routinely do not .. your dumb contraction posts, you insulting kids by saying they have no pride. You are a grown a** man. Do you not have any pride in yourself? Cause if you did. You wouldn't spend 75 percent of the time insulting kids on here. 

There are lots of freshman on JV teams

17-18 year old seniors do not belog on the same field with  13-14 year old freshman.  

Is it that hard to understand?

9 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

Where do you think this is unique...there are plenty of examples of kids like this all over the state.

Maybe the circumstances are a little different, but the stories are the same.

The boys are to be commended...but they aren't unique.

5 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Where do you think this is unique...there are plenty of examples of kids like this all over the state.

Maybe the circumstances are a little different, but the stories are the same.

The boys are to be commended...but they aren't unique.

You completely missed my point but that doesn't surprise me one bit. 

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

4 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

And if they don’t have the talent to play have them as managers or student coaches. Nothing wrong with that. You don’t see kids with 2.2 gpa on the science Olympiad. Kids that can’t sing in choir. And the list goes on.

Actually they do, kids don’t sit on the bench in choir or band.  Kids need opportunity.  I’m sorry, as an educator, I will disagree with you ALL. DAY.  LONG.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

ALL.  OF.  THIS.  

It’s to the point myself and a number of others are about to leave this forum.  DT only has interest in programs with money and his own, insulting thoughts.  He has absolutely destroyed this forum.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

ALL.  OF.  THIS.  

It’s to the point myself and a number of others are about to leave this forum.  DT only has interest in programs with money and his own, insulting thoughts.  He has absolutely destroyed this forum.

Run a simple poll and I will honor the results :

Option 1 : DT Stays

Option 2 : DT Goes

Only one vote per member allowed.

54 minutes ago, DT said:

How about let’s not do that.  I ain’t playing “Survivor”....sorry.  

And I don’t want to see ANYBODY leave.

Everybody needs to chill....and grow more than a micron thickness of skin.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

Looks like Mudas and DT have a new buddy. I swear to God they do

"Buddy" is kind of strong term at this point, but hearing from other individuals who do not automatically subscribe to the group-think that is endemic on the GID is refreshing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, DT said:

There are lots of freshman on JV teams

17-18 year old seniors do not belog on the same field with  13-14 year old freshman.  

Is it that hard to understand?

I believe you are off a year:  I cannot tell you 1 time in 17 years I had a 13 year old as a Freshman.  

So lets say its 14/15 yr olds with 17/18, in my on field experience of 17 years, those 14/15 year olds are more physical and better football players than the aforeamentioned 17/18 crowd.   So maybe we need to start protecting these 17/18 year olds.... :classic_laugh:

10 hours ago, DT said:

Hard Pass

9 hours ago, Lysander said:

How about let’s not do that.  I ain’t playing “Survivor”....sorry.  

And I don’t want to see ANYBODY leave.

Everybody needs to chill....and grow more than a micron thickness of skin.

EXACTLY!!!  the voice of reason!!

11 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

here is an article from WA state it’s an accepted practice for football out there 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/in-cut-sports-seniors-know-its-often-varsity-or-nothing/

When has the sport of Football become a Cut Sport?   

Nowhere I know of in Indiana, or nationwide for that matter.  Perhaps some schools in mega area's have to cap their team numbers, but I find that doubtful as well. 

Only cutting I know of is IHSAA state final teams who have to "cut" down to 75 which I think now is raised to 90 but not 100% on that for State Final game.  

56 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Only cutting I know of is IHSAA state final teams who have to "cut" down to 75 which I think now is raised to 90 but not 100% on that for State Final game.  

I have not heard that it went up to 90 if it did that would be great

jv is for developing your younger players.  That is why I say jv is For underclassman only.  But like  I said before if you need the number to field a team or have one or two seniors that are backup to key spots and need the reps I do understand it.

Edited by Trojanmp52

49 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

jv is for developing your younger players.  That is why I say jv is For underclassman only.  But like  I said before if you need the number to field a team or have one or two seniors that are backup to key spots and need the reps I do understand it.

Agreed. In a similar vein, I could see an underclassmen varsity player coming back from injury playing a quarter or so to get some 'live reps' and I would have no problem with it.  I will have to say within reason of course and each situation would be different depending on the player/opponents.  Basically treating a JV game like the NFL treats the preseason... a few series and be done.

Different sport, but I remember being a 14 year old freshman digging in against an all-conference pitcher throwing 90mph in a JV game.  He had been injured and started the JV game as part of his rehab, throwing 1 inning and then went to run foul poles in the OF during the rest of the game.  

1 hour ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I think that is the difference between 6a Center Grove and 2a Rensselaer