Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral at Decatur Central (sectional 13 final)

20 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

This could be an interesting game.  5A #1 and #2, in some polls, could be one of the best games of the week.

I want so badly to believe that this game will be competitive but I still like the Irish by 3 to 4 scores.

Something in the neighborhood of 38-14.

19 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I hate to sound like Lou Holtz, but a lot can happen during a game, and that's why they play.  DC  beat the Irish  down there 3 years ago.  I just hope the Irish aren't looking ahead.

Irish by 4 TD’s. Sorry this Irish team is light years ahead of the team from 3 years ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I hate to sound like Lou Holtz, but a lot can happen during a game, and that's why they play.  DC  beat the Irish  down there 3 years ago.  I just hope the Irish aren't looking ahead.

I will prob come down to run-defense (or "O" and D-line play)...Turnovers will equal extra possessions and points!  Should be a hostile home crowd as well...

9 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I think our staff has done great job past two years about keeping team focused and  'not looking ahead'.  Plus since we don't know who we would play next, not sure what there would be to look ahead too!!!

Irish 42

DC  14

1 minute ago, BDGiant93 said:

By interesting you mean how long will it be before Cathedral takes control? Cathedral 42, Decatur Central 14.

I love how everyone seems to have much more confidence in Cathedral than their OWN posters...

Though in reality, I bet they are just trying to drum up excitement for their contests each week.  Maybe if they convince themselves that the other team will make it competitive they feel like they get their money's worth?  Much less boring that way.

Edited by temptation

Just now, temptation said:

I love how everyone seems to have much more confidence in Cathedral than their OWN posters...

Though in reality, I bet they are just trying to drum up excitement for their contests each week.  Maybe if they convince themselves that the other team will make it competitive they feel like they get their money's worth?

Decatur Township resident here with a lot of respect for the school and the Hawks. I just think Cathedral is a different animal. I mean, Center Grove rolled Decatur Central. A vs B doesn't mean C vs B will be similar if C played A tight, but I just think Cathedral is probably a threat in 6A obviously. Decatur is a great program, but it's one of the best in class and Cathedral is one of the best in the show. No shame in that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

Though in reality, I bet they are just trying to drum up excitement for their contests each week.  Maybe if they convince themselves that the other team will make it competitive they feel like they get their money's worth?  Much less boring that way.

Maybe they should Invite Deestroying back to drum up some excitement. The last Cathedral game he was at he post a YouTube video that has over 760,000 Views and over 1700 comments

DC is good - Stevens is an excellent dual-threat player and they have a couple of threats to go to the house on every play - but Cathedral is otherworldly right now. 

47 minutes ago, temptation said:

That's typical. When you have a really good team that *should* win, but are facing a quality opponent, you give the opponent a lot of respect and have cautious optimism. 

Right now, Cathedral is at least 2-3 TDs better than anyone in 5A except maybe Valpo. 

38 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It's on turf so obviously Decatur Central has a chance. 

I get your joke regarding field conditions, but in reality it’s Zero chance. None. A Cathedral team this good will get zero competition in 5A. It’s a cakewalk to the trophy presentation. And I hate saying it because I despise definitive statements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

DC is good - Stevens is an excellent dual-threat player and they have a couple of threats to go to the house on every play - but Cathedral is otherworldly right now. 

That's typical. When you have a really good team that *should* win, but are facing a quality opponent, you give the opponent a lot of respect and have cautious optimism. 

Right now, Cathedral is at least 2-3 TDs better than anyone in 5A except maybe Valpo

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Decatur Township resident here with a lot of respect for the school and the Hawks. I just think Cathedral is a different animal. I mean, Center Grove rolled Decatur Central. A vs B doesn't mean C vs B will be similar if C played A tight, but I just think Cathedral is probably a threat in 6A obviously. Decatur is a great program, but it's one of the best in class and Cathedral is one of the best in the show. No shame in that.

Which I completely get and you are correct but the same Cathedral posters start topics in here on a weekly basis talking about  "I hope Cathedral doesn't over look this team" or "this team could make things interesting" when in fact its window dressing as the Irish are at least 3 scores better than everyone in 5A and could probably still win 5A by double figures on an "off night."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral "should" win by 3-4 TD's but the competitive advantage of playing on grass doesn't exist in this game unfortunately. We all know that Cathedral just loves to sling the ball around the field in wet and muddy conditions. Ideal conditions for that style of play if you ask me. 

You are trying too hard…no one is laughing.

• Like 1