Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

mercey rule 1 year in

3 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

After one year of the Mercey Rule  what are your thoughts. Do you still like it or dislike it?   Would make any changes to it?

I like it. Most of the kinks have probably been worked out now as far as coaches, officials, and timekeepers. (The running between the TD and PAT being a prime example of that.)

I‘m not opposed to 42/35 for 3rd and 4th quarters. I think a team that trails 35-0 at half but receives the kickoff should still have a chance to make it a game. So my change would be to make it 35 points & possession before it starts.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I like it. Most of the kinks have probably been worked out now as far as coaches, officials, and timekeepers. (The running between the TD and PAT being a prime example of that.)

I‘m not opposed to 42/35 for 3rd and 4th quarters. I think a team that trails 35-0 at half but receives the kickoff should still have a chance to make it a game. So my change would be to make it 35 points & possession before it starts.

I like the 42 and half and 35 in the 4th

also the running clock would start until the end of the quarter unless it is the 4th

A non-direct consequence was seen a couple of times this season.  My daughter is on the dance team for Jeff.  For home games, she'd often stay after school and then we'd pick her up after the game.  I told her to text us at the start of the 4th quarter and we'd come get her ... from that text, you've got 12 minutes to get to the school with the mercy rule.  Used to be able to have time to grab a bite for dinner if you got there by the half and still have enough time to finish up and get over to the school for pickup.  Depending on the opponent and the mercy rule, you may have to go fast food or skip the appetizers and get it to-go. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The only concern I have is this:  Most coaches want their 1s and 2s to at least have a possession after the half to "work" on adjustments etc.  If the clock is running from the beginning of the 3rd quarter on sometimes the young kids don't get many reps at all due to the fact that the second half ends very quickly.  With that said, maybe the mercy rule should be a 4th quarter thing only???? 

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

A non-direct consequence was seen a couple of times this season.  My daughter is on the dance team for Jeff.  For home games, she'd often stay after school and then we'd pick her up after the game.  I told her to text us at the start of the 4th quarter and we'd come get her ... from that text, you've got 12 minutes to get to the school with the mercy rule.  Used to be able to have time to grab a bite for dinner if you got there by the half and still have enough time to finish up and get over to the school for pickup.  Depending on the opponent and the mercy rule, you may have to go fast food or skip the appetizers and get it to-go. 😉

Pay the $6, head in and get the free hotdogs they are throwing away.  Get in good w the concessions and tell them to leave you a box of 3 dogs and old nachos "out back".  You can bring your own beverage of choice of course.  🤣

And if you really want to impress your wife, ask the concession workers to throw in 2 bags of popping corn......appetizer.

Huge improvement. For the 1 chance out of 1000 a team comes back from 35 points down at halftime I'm fine with leaving it as is. Half our games had a running clock the entire second half. Another one started with 9 minutes left in the 3rd only because the winning team missed 2 extra points in the first half. Both teams still played hard through the second half and the winning team got some valuable snaps for backups. It did exactly what it was intended to do.

I will say we had a couple clock operators who "forgot" to stop the clock after the try and before the kickoff. None of the coaches complained about that.

My only gripe:   Same gripe I have about our summer rules

WHEN DOES BASKETBALL HAVE TO FALL IN LINE?

IFCA was told YEARS ago, Im talking like 8 or 9 years ago that Football is ahead of the curve and that once football put in summer restrictions the rest of the sports would have to follow suit.  I have asked in open meetings multiple times when that is happening, the past spring of 2019, was told that this fall something is coming for basketball.  welp, nothing has come.   

Sportsmanship only applies to football??   

Why are these scores, as just an example ok?? 

GIRLS

DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 79.7, DA 32.4

Nov. 7   Speedway 3A © W 99 44    
Nov. 9 at North Decatur 2A W 75 41    
Nov. 14 at Cascade 2A © W 69 52    
Nov. 16   Eastern Hancock 2A W 83 52    
Nov. 20   Monrovia 3A © W 81 27    
Nov. 23   Indianapolis Lutheran 1A © W 90 24    
Nov. 27 at Morristown 1A W 45 9    
Nov. 30 N Linton-Stockton 2A W 47 37    
Dec. 6   Waldron 1A W 78 22    
Dec. 10 at Rushville 3A W 88 46    
Dec. 14   Southwestern (Shelbyville) 1A W 83 19    
Dec. 17   Indianapolis Ritter 3A © W 82 43    
Dec. 19   Hauser 1A W 89 18    
Dec. 28 at Knightstown 2A W 83 12    
Jan. 3 at Indianapolis Scecina 2A © W 104 40

BOYS

DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 26.5, DA 77.1

Nov. 26 at Kouts 1A L 21 115    
Nov. 30   Culver 1A L 20 47    
Dec. 6 at Morgan Twp. 1A L 44 86    
Dec. 7 at Carroll (Flora) 2A L 34 68    
Dec. 14 at South Newton 1A © L 20 48    
Dec. 19 at South Central (Union Mills) 2A L 32 70    
Dec. 28   Washington Twp. 1A L 13 82    
Jan. 3 at Argos 1A L 28 101  

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

My only gripe:   Same gripe I have about our summer rules

WHEN DOES BASKETBALL HAVE TO FALL IN LINE?

IFCA was told YEARS ago, Im talking like 8 or 9 years ago that Football is ahead of the curve and that once football put in summer restrictions the rest of the sports would have to follow suit.  I have asked in open meetings multiple times when that is happening, the past spring of 2019, was told that this fall something is coming for basketball.  welp, nothing has come.   

Sportsmanship only applies to football??   

Why are these scores, as just an example ok?? 

GIRLS

DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 79.7, DA 32.4

Nov. 7   Speedway 3A © W 99 44    
Nov. 9 at North Decatur 2A W 75 41    
Nov. 14 at Cascade 2A © W 69 52    
Nov. 16   Eastern Hancock 2A W 83 52    
Nov. 20   Monrovia 3A © W 81 27    
Nov. 23   Indianapolis Lutheran 1A © W 90 24    
Nov. 27 at Morristown 1A W 45 9    
Nov. 30 N Linton-Stockton 2A W 47 37    
Dec. 6   Waldron 1A W 78 22    
Dec. 10 at Rushville 3A W 88 46    
Dec. 14   Southwestern (Shelbyville) 1A W 83 19    
Dec. 17   Indianapolis Ritter 3A © W 82 43    
Dec. 19   Hauser 1A W 89 18    
Dec. 28 at Knightstown 2A W 83 12    
Jan. 3 at Indianapolis Scecina 2A © W 104 40

BOYS

DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 26.5, DA 77.1

Nov. 26 at Kouts 1A L 21 115    
Nov. 30   Culver 1A L 20 47    
Dec. 6 at Morgan Twp. 1A L 44 86    
Dec. 7 at Carroll (Flora) 2A L 34 68    
Dec. 14 at South Newton 1A © L 20 48    
Dec. 19 at South Central (Union Mills) 2A L 32 70    
Dec. 28   Washington Twp. 1A L 13 82    
Jan. 3 at Argos 1A L 28 101  

Honestly. Wc should just be playing a JV season instead. 

8 hours ago, foxbat said:

those dang Intangibles

• Haha 1

The clock management by Tennessee the other day reminds me of a situation this year where the leading team took a delay of game penalty with less than a minute left in the game in order to avoid punting.  Since the clock continues to run after a penalty, is there any provision in the rule that prohibits a team from taking consecutive penalties in order to simply run time off the clock?  I realize it would be an extremely unsportsmanlike act (and I have no idea why anyone would want to do it), but is there something that would prevent a coach from running out an entire quarter by just taking delay of game penalties?

54 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

The clock management by Tennessee the other day reminds me of a situation this year where the leading team took a delay of game penalty with less than a minute left in the game in order to avoid punting.  Since the clock continues to run after a penalty, is there any provision in the rule that prohibits a team from taking consecutive penalties in order to simply run time off the clock?  I realize it would be an extremely unsportsmanlike act (and I have no idea why anyone would want to do it), but is there something that would prevent a coach from running out an entire quarter by just taking delay of game penalties?

In high school football, the game clock does not start until the ball is next snapped or free kicked following an accepted delay of game penalty. No exceptions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FinePrint said:

I am not a fan of that rule, but you must admit, it was quite funny to see the student using "the force" against the teacher.  

15 minutes ago, Bobref said:

In high school football, the game clock does not start until the ball is next snapped or free kicked following an accepted delay of game penalty. No exceptions.

Either not true, or many refs have messed this up. I have taken many a delay of games in a running clock scenario in 2 states for this very reason.

10 minutes ago, CoachDurham said:

Either not true, or many refs have messed this up. I have taken many a delay of games in a running clock scenario in 2 states for this very reason.

I dinged 2 crews I observed during the tournament for not knowing this rule. For the unbelievers, the rule reference is 3-4-3:

“ART. 3 . . . The game clock shall start with the snap or when any free kick is touched, other than first touching by K, if the game clock was stopped because:

“i. The penalty for a delay of game foul is accepted.”

35 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I dinged 2 crews I observed during the tournament for not knowing this rule. For the unbelievers, the rule reference is 3-4-3:

“ART. 3 . . . The game clock shall start with the snap or when any free kick is touched, other than first touching by K, if the game clock was stopped because:

So in a mercy rule running clock scenario, the clock is supposed to stop for a delay of game penalty?

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

14 minutes ago, CoachDurham said:

Doesn't the running clock supersede the rule?