Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Public schools recruiting

19 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Now this is not a knock on any school and do know if any else has see this before.  I got a flier in the mail for Franklin comm.  I have got them before from private schools but never a public one. I just found it odd.

Open enrollment now makes several of those things that used to make p/p schools the boogeyman available to public schools.  When I lived in New Orleans, private schools were a dominant part of the landscape due to the condition of the public school system there.  Something like one-third of the schools in the area were private school.  When we moved to Texas, we moved into an area that didn't have, at that time, a nearby Catholic school.  My parents, however, were less concerned because we had public school that was a nationally-recognized junior high.  In essence, we ended up at a private public school ... matter of fact, the only thing I felt as the differences between the Catholic school and my public school were 1) no religion during the day, including no religion class, 2) the public school was much larger, it feeds a 6A high school, and had many more activities available, and 3) the sports teams for the public school were WAY better than the Catholic school I went to ... with that said, it probably would have been about the same at the high school level.   I've been in Catholic schools that look like low-level public schools ... I've been in public schools that look like high-level private schools ... and I've been part of challenged public schools.  I think that two things that are going to be problematic for challenged schools moving forward: open-enrollment with differentials and vouchers.  I'm not saying that the open-enrollment with differentials is evil and I see really good opportunities for COMMUNITIES to benefit from the idea of shared resources and focus.  For example, my colleague's daughter attended a school outside of her district because the other school provided better focus on performing arts that she just couldn't get at her own local school.  Where I see the bigger issue is when the more fundamental core education is compromise and lopsided.  I think it's great when a school has a focus in performing arts or life sciences or agriculture, but provides a big problem when math or English or basic science is severely compromised to the extent that students/family feel the need to transfer just for the basics.  

• Like 1

With open enrollment in Indiana, I have seen a couple different flyers in my mailbox.

If the kids do play sports at the high school level and the family does not change residence and/or there are no red flags regarding contact between a particular coach and in-coming student-athlete from a travel, AAU, club team, they have to be aware that kids may receive limited eligibilty or full elibility for a period of one calendar year.  Most incoming freshmen can receive full eligibility if they change schools at the semester and have not yet played a spring sport.

At least that is the way I understand how the IHSAA works.

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

9 hours ago, foxbat said:

Open enrollment now makes several of those things that used to make p/p schools the boogeyman available to public schools.  When I lived in New Orleans, private schools were a dominant part of the landscape due to the condition of the public school system there.  Something like one-third of the schools in the area were private school.  When we moved to Texas, we moved into an area that didn't have, at that time, a nearby Catholic school.  My parents, however, were less concerned because we had public school that was a nationally-recognized junior high.  In essence, we ended up at a private public school ... matter of fact, the only thing I felt as the differences between the Catholic school and my public school were 1) no religion during the day, including no religion class, 2) the public school was much larger, it feeds a 6A high school, and had many more activities available, and 3) the sports teams for the public school were WAY better than the Catholic school I went to ... with that said, it probably would have been about the same at the high school level.   I've been in Catholic schools that look like low-level public schools ... I've been in public schools that look like high-level private schools ... and I've been part of challenged public schools.  I think that two things that are going to be problematic for challenged schools moving forward: open-enrollment with differentials and vouchers.  I'm not saying that the open-enrollment with differentials is evil and I see really good opportunities for COMMUNITIES to benefit from the idea of shared resources and focus.  For example, my colleague's daughter attended a school outside of her district because the other school provided better focus on performing arts that she just couldn't get at her own local school.  Where I see the bigger issue is when the more fundamental core education is compromise and lopsided.  I think it's great when a school has a focus in performing arts or life sciences or agriculture, but provides a big problem when math or English or basic science is severely compromised to the extent that students/family feel the need to transfer just for the basics.  

Catholics will always be the boogeyman, Mel Gibsons said so

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ASJCPUMA said:

There are kids from Indiana going to Michigan schools.  Open enrollment is a broad thing

That's OK, CMA gets the Canadians ... for hockey.

1 hour ago, Donnie Baker said:

Catholics will always be the boogeyman, Mel Gibsons said so

When Mel's been drinking, just about everything and everybody is the boogeyman.

• Haha 2

Triton Central was taking out ads in the Hancock County newspaper (likely targeting the New Pal kids who live near TC) and aggressively recruiting students in Franklin Township a few years back when it was going to a New Tech curriculum. 

That may have backfired, as New Palestine's school board and superintendent were stridently opposed to allowing out-of-district transfers at the time even though open enrollment had been a thing in the state for a few years. Once those ads started running, NP felt targeted and opened it up to open enrollment. Once that happened, a significant number of students living in the Triton Central area transferred to New Pal. 

Now that the cat is out of the bag and open enrollment is a thing, you will see public school districts openly recruiting students from other districts. Many have marketing/communications/PR types now, in part, to assist with that (by my observation, most do a pretty lousy job because they're not marketing/PR experts but some crony of the superintendent who might have written the company newsletter at one point and has the in to get the cushy job with admin benefits). 

• Like 1

Clinton Central School Corporation has just put up a billboard advertising its services on the northwest side of Frankfort.   It has to do something, it is by far the smallest of all the government school corps in Clinton county.  Pre-K through 12th grade enrollment has fallen to only 819 students according to the IDOE. 

Other Clinton county government school pre-K through 12th grade enrollments:

Rossville:  932

Clinton Prairie: 1212

Frankfort: 3152

On 7/18/2022 at 1:58 PM, Piratefan101 said:

Open enrollment in lake county

Hobart doesn’t so we don’t get to play in the transfer portal unless someone actually moves here lol.  It would be nice to have the kids that go to Merrillville but live in Hobart city limits. 

it’s all a haves and have nots game anymore. Open enrollment is a big equalizer for some public schools. In my opinion no real reason to complain about  privates for a lot of schools.  Some sports are worse than football see wrestling… it’s absurd.  Feel bad for kids coming up through programs working their tails off and buying in only to be replaced by outsiders. Whatever I’m a dinosaur I suppose. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GATA said:

Hobart doesn’t so we don’t get to play in the transfer portal unless someone actually moves here lol.  It would be nice to have the kids that go to Merrillville but live in Hobart city limits. 

it’s all a haves and have nots game anymore. Open enrollment is a big equalizer for some public schools. In my opinion no real reason to complain about  privates for a lot of schools.  Some sports are worse than football see wrestling… it’s absurd.  Feel bad for kids coming up through programs working their tails off and buying in only to be replaced by outsiders. Whatever I’m a dinosaur I suppose. 

Yeah it’s a school choice but entire lake country has opened up open enrollment. Most schools in lake county participate. But there are 4-5 programs in the area that don’t work there pop warmers system at all. So it’s all about transfers 

2 hours ago, GATA said:

Feel bad for kids coming up through programs working their tails off and buying in only to be replaced by outsiders. Whatever I’m a dinosaur I suppose. 

That is the "displacement theory" the IHSAA Commissioner relies on in part to deny full eligibility transfers. 

On 7/20/2022 at 9:05 AM, Muda69 said:

Clinton Central School Corporation has just put up a billboard advertising its services on the northwest side of Frankfort.   It has to do something, it is by far the smallest of all the government school corps in Clinton county.  Pre-K through 12th grade enrollment has fallen to only 819 students according to the IDOE. 

Other Clinton county government school pre-K through 12th grade enrollments:

Rossville:  932

Clinton Prairie: 1212

Frankfort: 3152

I received a flyer in the mail from CC last week, so they are approaching the Sheridan area for students as well.  They even had bus pick up points for all of the surrounding school districts (Sheridan, Carroll, Clinton Prairie, Rossville, Frankfort and Western Boone).  Pretty aggressive marketing if they are including transportation services.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

I received a flyer in the mail from CC last week, so they are approaching the Sheridan area for students as well.  They even had bus pick up points for all of the surrounding school districts (Sheridan, Carroll, Clinton Prairie, Rossville, Frankfort and Western Boone).  Pretty aggressive marketing if they are including transportation services.

Pretty aggressive costs as well, providing limited bus service for all those other areas can't be cheap.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:27 AM, GATA said:

Paper addresses... 

On 7/18/2022 at 1:58 PM, Piratefan101 said:

Open enrollment in lake county

Really, there's open enrollment statewide. 

The key is, the school where you're wanting to *transfer to* needs to accept out-of-district transfer applications. Most schools do, some don't (usually, the ones that don't are in high-demand districts where the locals are concerned about keeping the property values up or districts where the schools are largely at capacity and can't really afford to take on more students). 

At New Pal, our previous superintendent was a hard "no" on out-of-district students for years, until a study committee (largely spearheaded by yours truly) pointed out the significant financial benefits and few costs. The biggest fear was that kids transferring from Marion County would take spots from longtime local families on athletic teams, et al. What has turned out is there's a significant self-selection bias - the people who are transferring in are doing so because they *want* to be here, and many intend to move to the community (a significant number do).