Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A State Championship: Bishop Chatard (14-0) vs. Heritage Hills (13-1)

4 hours ago, Just a dad said:

The recipe, that nobody has yet been able to fulfill, is grind out 3 yard runs, stay in front of the chains, milk the clock and protect the ball. Mix in an occasional safe pass and hope to pop a big play in the running game or in the return game. Finally, try to keep your players fresh. I realize that it is a big ask but it is’t impossible.

Well…if there is any team who can and will do that…it’s Heritage Hills haha

that is exactly what their best teams do and it’s probably how most of their opponents would describe them. 

For some reason this HH team has seemed like it comes out and imposes its gameplan on the opponent early. As an observer I believe they have not done a good job in recent years of imposing their style. I know the staff prepares as hard as any in the state, so I am not sure what has changed. I am confident internally they have rediscovered some things which should translate to success on the field. 

Let's see what happens after Chatard punches them in the mouth.

Cuz I don’t watch the Macy’s parade and NFL pregame shows stink, I watched the HH/Batesville game. HH was so close to losing that game yet seemed to be more comfortable against GS. Which game was a better representation for HH? Against Batesville they won the turnover battle (Batesville’s QB might want to not throw jump balls. The first two INT’s were ill advised) but also needed two big plays to even be in the game (the QB long TD and the scrambling long pass). Do they live and die by the big play?

1 hour ago, Just a dad said:

Cuz I don’t watch the Macy’s parade and NFL pregame shows stink, I watched the HH/Batesville game. HH was so close to losing that game yet seemed to be more comfortable against GS. Which game was a better representation for HH? Against Batesville they won the turnover battle (Batesville’s QB might want to not throw jump balls. The first two INT’s were ill advised) but also needed two big plays to even be in the game (the QB long TD and the scrambling long pass). Do they live and die by the big play?

At the end of the day even with the typical bad GS start, the game was a statistical dead heat and the long pass play was the difference.  It was a one play game.  They have been able to consistently make those plays for several games so it's not like it is a detriment. 

19 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

At the end of the day even with the typical bad GS start, the game was a statistical dead heat and the long pass play was the difference.  It was a one play game.  They have been able to consistently make those plays for several games so it's not like it is a detriment. 

Then it should be fun to see this Jett kid against the best 3A defense this year. Especially since he is just a sophomore. If he can navigate the game even remotely well then he should be exciting to watch over the next 2 years. 

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Sounds familiar…

I will say HH has a knack for making the plays when it matters the most. And ultimately- that’s why they’re playing in the biggest game of the year. Championship teams figure out a way to make those plays.

I’ll say this- I have no idea how the game will go- but HH’s defense is very legit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Let’s not forget the run by design in spread…. Jett had a 80 yd TD and 60 yd TD run called back….down 23-0 at one point was not due to GS bad start::: HH imposes their will on GS in all three phases of the game… I give GS credit in their hurry up 2 minute drill offense… as they moved the ball well in the passing game for last 6-7 minutes of 4th qtr

but for 3 1/2 qtrs I witnessed complete silence and shock on the GS side…GS is great team that in all of their losses and the Mt Carmel game…. Found themselves in a decent hole… only their style of offense could score quick and get back into the game

thank goodness HH is a run dominant team as it reeled off 17 play drive and 4 first downs that consumed 9 minutes of the clock….

if HH can move the ball and spread BC out … man on man type coverage, I like our chances better this go around than in 2019. 

I hope BC underestimates the Poverty Boys from Lincoln City!!

Edited by PAC FAN
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I see that Heritage Hills practiced at Lucas Oil yesterday.  Five hour trip for an hour under the roof.  Then hopping back on a bus less than 48 hours later for a game.

Indy area schools have such an advantage in that regard. 

Not sure if Chatard is still this way, but they used to always decline the practice at the Dome/Can.  It always seemed like more of distraction than benefit.  That said, of course I can see the location benefit.  I'm surprised the Patriots went to such lengths for a practice, but I'm sure they will be ready today.

35 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Not sure if Chatard is still this way, but they used to always decline the practice at the Dome/Can.  It always seemed like more of distraction than benefit.  That said, of course I can see the location benefit.  I'm surprised the Patriots went to such lengths for a practice, but I'm sure they will be ready today.

Not sure either these days but L, I believe, considered it a distraction and disruptive so generally practiced at Chatard….maybe at Park Tudor once as well?

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Not sure either these days but L, I believe, considered it a distraction and disruptive so generally practiced at Chatard….maybe at Park Tudor once as well?

Usually he would try to find a turf field to use to practice on.  One year was Park Tudor.  We did practice a few times for one day of the week at the colts facility.  I think there may have been a few other temporary practice homes, but looking back I agree with that call.  I think we did a walk through for a regular season game that was being played at the Dome, and it was a huge distraction.  Other than the 11 guys on the field, everyone else was caught up in an NFL sideline and locker room.   Just about crunch time.  Hoping temptation is right.

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

HH also had a practice at Southport this week. Coach Bettag was on the 2008 team and one of the last Forest Park guys to play at HH before they got their own team in Ferdinand.

In other off the field reporting, I heard the Colts have provided a suite for some "high level" former HH players and supporters.

This is developing news...

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Coach Bettag was on the 2008 team and one of the last Forest Park guys to play at HH before they got their own team in Ferdinand.

Please expound on this.  Sounds like a football co-op situation, which I didn't think we had in Indiana?

4 hours ago, Trojan said:

Chatard has been practicing at grand park two times during state week, the last 4 years to acclimate to the indoor climate.

2 minutes ago, ArmyVet80 said:

@BobrefBobref are you at the 3A game? If so, do you know anything about the "ref" on the south side behind the endzone in the stands? He is about 4 rows in front of me. Dressed like a ref and even has a yellow flag he throws. 🤷‍♂️ seems like a nice guy.  😁

That guy has been there the past 2 years at least. Does a great job. Never misses a call.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ArmyVet80 said:

@BobrefBobref are you at the 3A game? If so, do you know anything about the "ref" on the south side behind the endzone in the stands? He is about 4 rows in front of me. Dressed like a ref and even has a yellow flag he throws. 🤷‍♂️ seems like a nice guy.  😁

Just now, JQWL said:

That guy has been there the past 2 years at least. Does a great job. Never misses a call.

Yes, he's a permanent fixture at the finals. He is not in any way affiliated with officiating. Between you and me, it seems like his stairs don't go all the way to the top.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JQWL said:

His name is Trevor and he does this for his YouTube program. I just recorded him on the recent BC TD and extra point "officiating". 👍

Edited by ArmyVet80