Jump to content

Jayson West leaves Warren Central


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Obvious coaches for WC job:

2) Mike Kirschner - WC alum and maybe he misses the "grind"

 

They might pursue him, but I can't imagine Mike coming back into the MIC. Not at this stage of his career. Been there, done that, has the t-shirt. I would have to root for him though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, superjay said:

Desmond Tardy. Warren grad, Purdue Wr, former Wr coach at Butler, currently at IMG academy.

No coordinator or head coaching experience, and his first job as either a coordinator or head coach would be a Big 4 MIC job?  Don't get me wrong, coaching at IMG is definitely a feat in itself, but this is a HUGE first job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

They might pursue him, but I can't imagine Mike coming back into the MIC. Not at this stage of his career. Been there, done that, has the t-shirt. I would have to root for him though. 

What about Craig Chambers would that be a possible candidate to apply. East side ties as former HC at Howe. He does have HC and Assistant AD jobs currently at Tech. Just tossing a name out there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

What is the coaching salary at a Mt. Vernon or New Pal like compared to Warren or BD?   The formula for how teacher raises are tied to student enrolled is probably more important.  If you're a teacher and not at the top of the pay scale, the only place to be is in a growing school district.

 

How some of these young teacher coaches keep making it work at schools where enrollment is stagnant or heading in the wrong direction beats me.   Imagine being hired in at $34K then being told that the only way to increase your salary is if enrollment increases and "New Funds" become available.  

Teacher raises are completely negotiated by unions and admin. There's no formula. Each school also gets a share of the TAG (Teacher Appreciation Grant) to dole out with stipulations. Pay scales are no longer in effect in most districts. Wayne Township, for example, did away with its scale in last contract negotiation. You start at a base rate and then raises are negotiated. So, where ever you were on the scale, that's where you are now. In Wayne Township, new teachers are locked at the bottom until raises (if any) are negotiated.

Coaching pay is set by the extracurricular amounts negotiated by the union in Wayne. Teacher salary + coaching amount.

Edited by BDGiant93
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2020 at 4:52 PM, DT said:

What does this say about the WC feeder pipeline?

Feels like Bret Bielema leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas.

Why???

LOL

Warren sophomore class went undefeated as freshman and didn’t lose a game out the district while in middle school 

the current 8th graders the mic middle school championship was played by two warren middle school both didn’t lose to anybody out of district 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Beastmode76 said:

Warren sophomore class went undefeated as freshman and didn’t lose a game out the district while in middle school 

the current 8th graders the mic middle school championship was played by two warren middle school both didn’t lose to anybody out of district 

So with that said, obviously this has nothing to do with the talent that might be there in the near future.  Greener pastures. Says something when the basketball coach and football coach both leave WC for the same school?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, southend said:

So with that said, obviously this has nothing to do with the talent that might be there in the near future.  Greener pastures. Says something when the basketball coach and football coach both leave WC for the same school?

IWG nailed it above.  Page 2.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A LOT of interesting names out there...and fun conversation...as @Coach Nowlin said, stay away from the hearsay. I agree with Temptation as far as the coaches in the donut around Marion County. I don’t see any of them moving. I am going to throw one name out there that has yet to come up, but has been a GREAT coach. Terry Peebles has plenty of experience on the college level and has done a great job with the Harrison program. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Teacher raises are completely negotiated by unions and admin. There's no formula. Each school also gets a share of the TAG (Teacher Appreciation Grant) to dole out with stipulations. Pay scales are no longer in effect in most districts. Wayne Township, for example, did away with its scale in last contract negotiation. You start at a base rate and then raises are negotiated. So, where ever you were on the scale, that's where you are now. In Wayne Township, new teachers are locked at the bottom until raises (if any) are negotiated.

Coaching pay is set by the extracurricular amounts negotiated by the union in Wayne. Teacher salary + coaching amount.

That's true that raises are negotiated but when I left Indiana teacher raises could only be negotiated from "New Money" and with the bulk of funding being linked to enrollment, effectively you had to be in a growing district to have a chance at a raise.

Has that changed?  

What is the Teacher Appreciation Grant?  Is this less than a few years old? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Irishman said:

A LOT of interesting names out there...and fun conversation...as @Coach Nowlin said, stay away from the hearsay. I agree with Temptation as far as the coaches in the donut around Marion County. I don’t see any of them moving. I am going to throw one name out there that has yet to come up, but has been a GREAT coach. Terry Peebles has plenty of experience on the college level and has done a great job with the Harrison program. 

Good name to throw out there. One interesting thing is his flex-bone offense is very similar to the early years of Kevin Wright at Warren Central.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Teacher raises are completely negotiated by unions and admin. There's no formula. Each school also gets a share of the TAG (Teacher Appreciation Grant) to dole out with stipulations. Pay scales are no longer in effect in most districts. Wayne Township, for example, did away with its scale in last contract negotiation. You start at a base rate and then raises are negotiated. So, where ever you were on the scale, that's where you are now. In Wayne Township, new teachers are locked at the bottom until raises (if any) are negotiated.

Coaching pay is set by the extracurricular amounts negotiated by the union in Wayne. Teacher salary + coaching amount.

What about made up/fictional positions that they magically find money for?

Is anyone on here old enough to remember when coaches used to actually TEACH 7 hours per day and high school athletics were viewed as "extracurriculars" and an extension of the learning process?

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DanteEstonia said:

Indiana has an income tax, correct? Where does that money go?

Couldn't tell ya.  All I know is money can be found when it is "needed."

So many folks shy away from talking about this hypocrisy.  It's become a "good ole boys club."

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, temptation said:

What about made up/fictional positions that they magically find money for?

Is anyone on here old enough to remember when coaches used to actually TEACH 7 hours per day and high school athletics were viewed as "extracurriculars" and an extension of the learning process?

Yes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...