Regular Season Matchups 2021

On 12/13/2020 at 7:56 PM, Gipper said:

Then again, why go out of state?    

Just play an opponent from a different area:

Center Grove-Elkhart 

Evansville Memorial—Bishop Dwenger

Linton-Pioneer

South Newton-Indiana School for the Deaf

Memorial-Dwenger would be a great matchup, too bad the SIAC does not do non conference due to the expansion 

Memorial’s Schedule 

CLASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
4A 24 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS FOOTBALL FIELD 0-0
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
EVANSVILLE MEMORIAL
TIGERS
Coach: John Hurley, 108-59 in 14th year at school

DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 0.0, DA 0.0
Aug. 20   Jasper 4A © 6:30 pm    
Aug. 27   Evansville North 5A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 3 at Evansville Central 4A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 10   Evansville Mater Dei 2A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 17   Evansville Harrison 4A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 24 at Evansville Bosse 3A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 1 at Evansville Reitz 4A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 8   Vincennes Lincoln 3A © 6:30 pm    
Oct. 15 at Castle 5A © 7:00 pm    
©SOUTHERN INDIANA CONFERENCE GAME

8 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Memorial-Dwenger would be a great matchup, too bad the SIAC does not do non conference due to the expansion 

Memorial’s Schedule 

TOURNAMENT HISTORY
EVANSVILLE MEMORIAL
TIGERS

Very true, I never took that into consideration.

Did Silver Creek and Clarksville agree to not play each other?

http://scoreboard.homestead.com/football/logsClarksville.htm#loaded

2A 39 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS FOOTBALL FIELD 0-0
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
CLARKSVILLE
GENERALS
Coach: Justin Boser, 6-24 in 4th year at school

DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 0.0, DA 0.0
Aug. 20 at Scottsburg 3A © 7:00 pm    
Aug. 27   Eastern (Pekin) 2A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 3 at Charlestown 3A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 10   Providence 2A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 17   Salem 3A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 1   Brownstown Central 3A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 8 at Corydon Central 3A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 15   North Harrison 3A © 7:00 pm    
©MID-SOUTHERN CONFERENCE GAME

17 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Memorial’s Schedule 

TOURNAMENT HISTORY
EVANSVILLE MEMORIAL
TIGERS

Looks like Memorial starts strong and finishes with a tough one but is pretty soft in weeks 5,6 and 7. 

Looks like LCC's going to have roughly the same schedule as this year although I think they'd be better-served playing Western as the cross-division rival as opposed to Northwestern.  Moving up to 2A getting 4A Western would help more for post-season.  Maybe they'll get them in the conference crossover championships in Week 9.

image.png.a83cf6ef0d5196a42fa9ec91978c4e6b.png

26 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

The Homophone Bowl. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

17 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Looks like Memorial starts strong and finishes with a tough one but is pretty soft in weeks 5,6 and 7. 

I'm not sure that any school in the SIAC has control over their schedule anymore now that the conference is closed. I wouldn't mind seeing the first 8 games (leave week 9 alone) reordered 2 or 4 years to add some variety.  

On 12/10/2020 at 3:59 AM, hhpatriot04 said:

The event Kirk Herbstreit organized about a decade ago sought to showcase Ohio HS football to the nation. Perhaps it's time for the Colts, Jack Doyle, or some other entity to entertain a two-day event at Lucas Oil, inviting some of the aforementioned teams from Ohio, Louisville, and even Illinois. 

We attended the Herbstreit every year they held it and saw some great teams play some great games.   I have been advocating something like this for years but have seen no movement toward an event actually being considered.  It would even be better if we lifted that silly 300 travel mile rule and could get teams like Alabaster Thompson (AL), Colquitt County (GA) and Fort Lauderdale (FL) St. Thomas Aquinas to play our best.     Gosh I'm dreaming again and realize that such a thing will never happen here.

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2020 at 9:47 AM, DanteEstonia said:

The Homophone Bowl. 

Nicely done there (Reitz/Rice)!  I’m just catching up on this thread.  The concept of these 2 teams actually playing literally blows my mind today in this gawdawful era of “closed” conferences.

I will say that the Warren Central Classic came closer to fitting the concept behind this thread than anything else I’ve heard of so far.

Why did they quite doing it?

I can recall kids who had played on Friday night heading over to WC on Saturday just to watch some of those games.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 10:35 AM, Gipper said:

Good looking schedule! Best of luck against New Albany and Warren South!

South Warren Spartans.  (the) Newest school built in the Warren County School System - Bowling Green, KY, less than 5 years ago.  They have risen to the top of Warren County sports in rapid time.  They are separate from Bowling Green schools (BGHS Purples are the city school system). 

I graduated from Warren Central (KY) in 83.  There were 2 HS in the system at that time: Warren Central and Warren East. Built/Added Greenwood (1990s) and South Warren (2010s).

South Warren has become a very good 5A team in Kentucky, and should be a great matchup for Gibson Southern.  

The school is the largest campus in the state of Kentucky, as an aside...  and built on the land in which had purchased a home when GM moved the Corvette Plant there from Saint Louis.  (Thank GOD I just tagged along and headed up north to Indiana when Dad took a promotion to the GM Truck plant here).  

GO TITANS!!!

• Like 3

On 12/21/2020 at 6:44 AM, Lysander said:

Nicely done there (Reitz/Rice)!  I’m just catching up on this thread.  The concept of these 2 teams actually playing literally blows my mind today in this gawdawful era of “closed” conferences.

I think the “closed conferences” are a mistake as well. It did no favors for the Hoosier Crossroads Conference. Long term, I think the conferences will open back up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

I think the “closed conferences” are a mistake as well. It did no favors for the Hoosier Crossroads Conference. Long term, I think the conferences will open back up.

Is there any reason for “closed conferences” other than convenience in scheduling?

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Is there any reason for “closed conferences” other than convenience in scheduling?

Covid and its associated costs will keep currently closed conferences permanently closed and encourage others to seek closure as well.  

Look for the following conferences to seek new members to reach 10 schools and fully closed status :

NLC - needs 2  

Mid State - needs 2

HCC - needs 2

HHillsC - needs 3

HHeritage - needs 2

DAC - needs 2

Sagamore - needs 2

NE 8 - needs 2

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Covid and its associated costs will keep currently closed conferences permanently closed and encourage others to seek closure as well.  

Look for the following conferences to seek new members to reach 10 schools and fully closed status :

Actually, COVID would be more likely to encourage more open conference schedules if it actually has any real impact at all on conferences ... and I'm not convinced that it does.  More open schedules provide for more options should there be an issue with COVID; especially if you are talking cross-county.  If you look at most of the COVID-cancelled matches and who filled in those cancellations to allow games to continue on, it was teams that were outside of the conferences and, often, outside of the county.  As for 10-team conferences, I'm not specifically seeing the correlation between the number 10 and a closed conference.  Yes, 10 ALLOWS you to do a closed schedule, but there are 10-team conferences that still have open schedules ... e.g., the Hoosier Conference is a 10-team conference that plays seven games in-conference ... four within division, two cross-division, and an end-of-season crossover match-up based on standings ... and two games open.

9 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Actually, COVID would be more likely to encourage more open conference schedules if it actually has any real impact at all on conferences ... and I'm not convinced that it does.  More open schedules provide for more options should there be an issue with COVID; especially if you are talking cross-county.  If you look at most of the COVID-cancelled matches and who filled in those cancellations to allow games to continue on, it was teams that were outside of the conferences and, often, outside of the county.  As for 10-team conferences, I'm not specifically seeing the correlation between the number 10 and a closed conference.  Yes, 10 ALLOWS you to do a closed schedule, but there are 10-team conferences that still have open schedules ... e.g., the Hoosier Conference is a 10-team conference that plays seven games in-conference ... four within division, two cross-division, and an end-of-season crossover match-up based on standings ... and two games open.

ADs are looking for simplicity, predictability and familiarity.  The closed conference model provides all 3.  There really is no need anymore for long intra state regular season travel.  It proves nothing and only adds cost and complication to athletic departments.  

The SIAC is the perfect model for conference setup in the post COVID world.  You have a multi class conference with PP and Public represenation , city and suburban schools and lots of current and future rivalries.  Those folks down there are ahead of the curve.  Kudos to them.  

As far as the Hoosier is concerned,  they really only have one open date.  The week 9 schedule is all intra conference.  

Edited by DT

12 minutes ago, DT said:

ADs are looking for simplicity, predictability and familiarity.  The closed conference model provides all 3.  There really is no need anymore for long intra state regular season travel.  It proves nothing and only adds cost and complication to athletic departments.  

The SIAC is the perfect model for conference setup in the post COVID world.  You have a multi class conference with PP and Public represenation , city and suburban schools and lots of current and future rivalries.  Those folks down there are ahead of the curve.  Kudos to them.  

As far as the Hoosier is concerned,  they really only have one open date.  The week 9 schedule is all intra conference.  

There are two open dates.  In the coming season, LCC, e.g., opens their season against Tri-West and Guerin ... neither of which is in the Hoosier Conference.  West Lafayette will play McCutcheon and Jeff.  RCHS will play KV and NorthNewton.  Tipton is playing Frankton and Elwood.  The HC schedule allows for within division, crossover, crossover championship, and a couple of open dates to allow teams to maintain more historical rivalries, such as LCC and Guerin or RCHS and KV or Tipton and Elwood.  In the past, Benton Central has typically played against Delphi/North Montgomery and Seeger.  HH typically plays North Montgomery and someone else like Mount Vernon.  Cass typically plays Pioneer and someone else.  A couple of the schools, like Twin Lakes, Northwestern, and Western, try to schedule everything within conference, but even Western and Northwestern normally pick up at least one outside of the conference.

Only seven of the nine games is REQUIRED infra-conference and, as I pointed out and you did too, the last game of the season is like a "bowl game" where there is division-against-division crossover based on records.  If the conference ever ends up as an odd-number league, that crossover championship game will either require someone to get blocked out of playing or one more flexible date added to the schedule.

I'm not sure that long intra-state travel is an artifact of open-conferences.  I've seen it much more as opportunities for experimentation, growth, new experiences, etc.  Having the open dates provides opportunities for a team to take on a new challenge or to do something a bit different to shake things up.  An argument might be made that being an independent might put you more in the position of having to make longer treks to fill in the gaps of a season, but I'm just not seeing the issue for most open conferences.  Do some make that trek?  Certainly.  Do they HAVE to because they are in an open-conference?  Again, I'm not seeing that as a result of the open-conference.

15 minutes ago, foxbat said:

There are two open dates.  In the coming season, LCC, e.g., opens their season against Tri-West and Guerin ... neither of which is in the Hoosier Conference.  West Lafayette will play McCutcheon and Jeff.  RCHS will play KV and NorthNewton.  Tipton is playing Frankton and Elwood.  The HC schedule allows for within division, crossover, crossover championship, and a couple of open dates to allow teams to maintain more historical rivalries, such as LCC and Guerin or RCHS and KV or Tipton and Elwood.  In the past, Benton Central has typically played against Delphi/North Montgomery and Seeger.  HH typically plays North Montgomery and someone else like Mount Vernon.  Cass typically plays Pioneer and someone else.  A couple of the schools, like Twin Lakes, Northwestern, and Western, try to schedule everything within conference, but even Western and Northwestern normally pick up at least one outside of the conference.

Only seven of the nine games is REQUIRED infra-conference and, as I pointed out and you did too, the last game of the season is like a "bowl game" where there is division-against-division crossover based on records.  If the conference ever ends up as an odd-number league, that crossover championship game will either require someone to get blocked out of playing or one more flexible date added to the schedule.

I'm not sure that long intra-state travel is an artifact of open-conferences.  I've seen it much more as opportunities for experimentation, growth, new experiences, etc.  Having the open dates provides opportunities for a team to take on a new challenge or to do something a bit different to shake things up.  An argument might be made that being an independent might put you more in the position of having to make longer treks to fill in the gaps of a season, but I'm just not seeing the issue for most open conferences.  Do some make that trek?  Certainly.  Do they HAVE to because they are in an open-conference?  Again, I'm not seeing that as a result of the open-conference.

I used to feel this way ten years ago.  I loved the idea of Merrillville and Warren Central playing early in the season, like Ben Davis and Penn used to do.  I used to be an advocate for Lake Central to reach out and schedule Center Grove or Carmel to come and visit their fabulous new football palace.

But as the years have passed, and participation has declined, NWIs influence on the statewide scene has diminished, competitive balance has roared out of control and COVID has put a headlock on scheduling and planning, my outlook has changed.  The days where many schools on the fringe were looking to become state powers have passed.  Football revenue is way down because people dont go to games anymore, pre and post COVID.  ADs can reduce their investment in football and spread the dollars more evenly to benefit other sports for both boys and girls.  Hence the need for long distance travel to "test your mettle" is no longer a desirable idea.

I dont see us going back to the days where football and Friday Night Lights was the central focus at many high schools around the state .  Certainly, there are many schools who still put a high premium on their football program, but not as many as we used to see.

I believe the 2 open dates in the Hoosier result in "less travel" for conference schools as the league is very spread out geographically.  Coach Nowlin, can you confirm or deny this?

Edited by DT

3 minutes ago, DT said:

I used to feel this way ten years ago.  I loved the idea of Merrillville and Warren Central playing early in the season, like Ben Davis and Penn used to do.  I used to be an advocate for Lake Central to reach out and schedule Center Grove or Carmel to come and visit their fabulous new football palace.

But as the years have passed, and participation has declined, NWIs influence on the statewide scene has diminished, competitive balance has roared out of control and COVID has put a headlock on scheduling and planning, my outlook has changed.  The days where many schools on the fringe were looking to become state powers have passed.  Football revenue is way down because people dont go to games anymore, pre and post COVID.  ADs can reduce their investment in football and spread the dollars more evenly to benefit other sports for both boys and girls.  Hence the need for long distance travel to "test your mettle" is no longer a desirable idea.

I dont see us going back to the days where football and Friday Night Lights was the central focus at many high schools around the state .  Certainly, there are many schools who still put a high premium on their football program, but not as many as we used to see.

I believe the 2 open dates in the Hoosier result in "less travel" for conference schools as the league is very spread out geographically.  Coach Nowlen, can you confirm or deny this?

Iron sharpens iron though, no?  The only way for non-Indy schools to “close the gap” competitively is to schedule matchups against them.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your assessment but isn’t this the ultimate surrender flag?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, temptation said:

Iron sharpens iron though, no?  The only way for non-Indy schools to “close the gap” competitively is to schedule matchups against them.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your assessment but isn’t this the ultimate surrender flag?

I have previously submitted several proposals to the forum that are designed to improve Northern 6A football and give our schools more of an opportunity to experience a state championship at the highest level.

1. Split 6A into two 16 team tournaments.  This basically creates an Indy centric Super 6A Class and takes all the second tier cities (Columbus/Bloomington/Terre haute/Evansville/Muncie/Lafayette) out of the mega school equation.  Super Megas like Lake Central, Penn, Elkhart Crown Point remain in the Top 16

2. Move Penn and Elkhart into the Duneland - this will sharpen the saw for both programs.

3. The Summit should look at replacing its poorest performing programs and bringing in some new blood to strengthen the overall conference.  The SAC is weighted down with too many FW city schools that lessen overall conference strength

4. Jeff and Harrison should break away from the NCC and seek a new home either in the HCC, Conference Indiana or the CCC.  

All of these moves are designed to vastly improve the level of regular season competition, eliminate mismatches, and better prepare large northern schools for post season play.

Edited by DT