Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional Draw 2023

24 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

This year there's 3 classes (1A, 3A, 4A) where we truthfully could just save a lot of time and give the trophy to the best team right now and not even need to play the tournament, that's how lopsided they are. 

I recall many people feeling this way about Bishop Luers in 2A a couple years ago.  I think their name was being etched onto the trophy as Eastside shocked them in the sectional final.  You never know.

Otherwise, I don't disagree with your assessment of 5A parity.

17 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

I recall many people feeling this way about Bishop Luers in 2A a couple years ago.  I think their name was being etched onto the trophy as Eastside shocked them in the sectional final.  You never know.

Otherwise, I don't disagree with your assessment of 5A parity.

You’re right. However I don’t think people thought the gap between Leurs and the rest of 2A that year was nearly as big as between Lutheran and the rest of 1A currently (at least I didn’t). And with that “you never know” mentality I doubt you guys will have a letdown. 

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

One thing I'm gonna say is last year 5A had by-far the most interesting tournament (in my opinion) and this year its stacking up to be the same way. Whether the class is weak or not there's a whole lot of parity in it and I think that's nice from a fan's perspective (and maybe was one of the goals of the 6 class split/success factor?). This year there's 3 classes (1A, 3A, 4A) where we truthfully could just save a lot of time and give the trophy to the best team right now and not even need to play the tournament, that's how lopsided they are. So while I might think that the teams that currently make up 5A are mediocre in relation to their size, I have to say that 5A is arguably the 'healthiest' class (if you consider healthy to be the fact that seemingly anyone in the top 10 of it could win). 

I'm going to have to disagree to some extent on 1A & 3A.

In 1A I believe Carroll (Flora) and Adams Central are legit contenders to Lutheran.  Lutheran is a safe bet, but all it takes is one game on one day, and it is possible for someone to knock them off.

I also feel that Chatard may have difficulty just winning their 3A sectional, and possibly their first game of the sectional.  There are 4 undefeated teams in 3A Sectional 28, and 6-2 Guerin took Chatard to the wire, losing in OT.  It may be a breeze for the Sectional 28 winner after surviving that killer sectional, but I don't think it's time to just hand over the trophy.

10 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

In 1A I believe Carroll (Flora) and Adams Central are legit contenders to Lutheran.  Lutheran is a safe bet, but all it takes is one game on one day, and it is possible for someone to knock them off.

Can the country farm boys overcome city speed?

47 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

I'm going to have to disagree to some extent on 1A & 3A.

I also feel that Chatard may have difficulty just winning their 3A sectional, and possibly their first game of the sectional.  There are 4 undefeated teams in 3A Sectional 28, and 6-2 Guerin took Chatard to the wire, losing in OT.  It may be a breeze for the Sectional 28 winner after surviving that killer sectional, but I don't think it's time to just hand over the trophy.

I’m sorry but Chatard beat Cathedral…if they’re healthy they’re not getting touched in 3A. Their QB went down against Guerin and that’s what made it so close. They play again healthy I doubt it’s as close.

I guess I’d give someone in 1A a slightly better shot than someone in 3A because AC did take Lutheran to the wire a couple years ago, while Chatard has won 3A almost every year it’s been in the class for seemingly forever. 

1 hour ago, Ballhawk said:

Hopefully we find out.  The Cougars have some athletes and a pretty balanced attack.

My fear is can they overcome their schedule?  Not the most challenging.

Perhaps Carroll should consider leaving the Hoosier Heartland Conference for just the Hoosier Conference..............

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

I’m sorry but Chatard beat Cathedral…if they’re healthy they’re not getting touched in 3A. Their QB went down against Guerin and that’s what made it so close. They play again healthy I doubt it’s as close.

QB is still injured, hasn't played since that Guerin game.  

19 hours ago, tango said:

Wasn't suggesting they could. Although they did handle Moeller easier (at least based on score) than CG...

Wasn't suggesting they could. Although they did handle Moeller easier (at least based on score) than CG...

I have no dog in this situation.  But a ONE OFF game is possible for anyone to win, if they are formidable enough.

Now go run a 6 game gauntlet in 6A and then we could talk. There's a lot more to 6A than CG.  

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Temp’s opinion:  (after getting caught up from being out of town)…

East Central could hang with anyone in 6A and would be favored over all but 4 Indiana teams on a neutral field.

Yeah, I said it.

Would that be BD, Brownsburg, CG, and…?

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Temp’s opinion:  (after getting caught up from being out of town)…

East Central could hang with anyone in 6A and would be favored over all but 4 Indiana teams on a neutral field.

Yeah, I said it.

Games aren't actually played on "neutral fields" until LOS.  

8 hours ago, scarab527 said:

You’re right. However I don’t think people thought the gap between Leurs and the rest of 2A that year was nearly as big as between Lutheran and the rest of 1A currently (at least I didn’t). And with that “you never know” mentality I doubt you guys will have a letdown. 

Actually, I think the gap was bigger. Luers won the SAC title that year with victories over Carroll, Homestead, and Dwenger. No one saw that Eastside debacle coming. I only have Lutheran as a slight favorite this year. There's a team from Adams County that might have something to say. 

12 minutes ago, BTF said:

Actually, I think the gap was bigger. Luers won the SAC title that year with victories over Carroll, Homestead, and Dwenger. No one saw that Eastside debacle coming. I only have Lutheran as a slight favorite this year. There's a team from Adams County that might have something to say. 

Eastside had beaten them two years earlier and only lost by a touchdown the year prior. They were also undefeated. From a person outside of the FW bubble it really wasn’t all that shocking. There were also Andrean and Mater Dei. This year there’s legitimately likely one team in 1A that Lutheran won’t running clock. 

14 minutes ago, BTF said:

2015 all over again. 

imagine for a minute Valpo in 4a South last year

woulda been out in sectionals.

why talk about an 8 year old game when we can talk about Snider literally handing a state championship away last year

9 hours ago, scarab527 said:

The last time Chatard beat Cathedral they got smoked in 3A South Semi-State, so I wouldn't bet the mortgage on that fact alone...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Just a dad said:

Sounds like a fun chat. Maybe incorporate the preference by some to move the successful privates (and dominant publics) based on Calpreps Dynasty rating. I realize that is a bit much but not sure how much of a geek you are for this. Looking forward to seeing the thread. I’d be glad to help if you need it. 

I’m just going to set it up with the system we have now. If Lutheran ends up in a 32 team 1A (SPOILER ALERT! They would) then that’s how I’ll have it on my classification lists. I’ll leave it up to everyone else to argue whether that’s fair or not.

7 hours ago, Rodney said:

imagine for a minute Valpo in 4a South last year

woulda been out in sectionals.

why talk about an 8 year old game when we can talk about Snider literally handing a state championship away last year

Ouch, that hurt. I would think that is kind of like M-Ville inability to win a semi state title with all that D1 talent they have year in and year out for 30+ years??

15 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Chatard vs Cathedral is just different. It is a rivalry game that anything can happen no matter which one looks more dominant. There has been about everything happen in games between the Trojans and Irish. Even the game itself was wild between momentum shifts, the lights going out at Arlington, the move to play Saturday at Chatard. Even the transitive property comparison has never worked.

Chatard vs Roncalli @ Chatard 14-7 (Chatard)

Chatard vs Cathedral (1/2 @ Arlington 1/2 @ Chatard) 24-21 (Chatard)

Cathedral vs Roncalli @ Roncalli 42-0 (Cathedral)

Chatard is very good and they aren't flashy. They very well could be 3A State Champions, but they aren't so dominant that no other team has a shot. It won't be easy for any team in 3A to beat them, but it is also not a given.

• Like 1