Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Alabama band director tased and arrested after high school football game for refusing to stop performance

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/18/us/alabama-band-director-tased-arrested/index.html

A band director was tased and arrested after he disregarded police requests to stop his band’s performance following a high school football game, according to a Birmingham Police Department spokesperson.

The incident happened Thursday following a win by Minor High School at PD Jackson-Olin High School in Birmingham, said police. Birmingham police officers started clearing out the stadium when the game ended and noticed “both schools’ bands still performing,” said spokesperson Truman Fitzgerald in a statement.

Officers spoke with both band directors and asked them to stop playing music “so students and attendees would leave the stadium,” said the statement.

The home team band stopped playing when asked, but Minor’s band director, Johnny Mims, did not stop and “instructed his band to continue performing,” according to Birmingham police.

Don't mess with a high school band director when he's in this groove.    And what's this about high school football on a Thursday night?  Blasphemy.

I seem to recall a trip in my early years of officiating to a certain southeastern Indiana school known for both football and band being told by the AD:

”the band will not be off the field before halftime is over, but you can’t flag us, because nobody effs with our band.”

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I seem to recall a trip in my early years of officiating to a certain southeastern Indiana school known for both football and band being told by the AD:

”the band will not be off the field before halftime is over, but you can’t flag us, because nobody effs with our band.”

I feel like I have heard an opposite story from other officials.  The head coach ASKED for a flag post-halftime so he justify his complaint to the AD about the band.  Presumably there was a personal beef between the HC and Band Director.  Which wouldn't be the first time. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I feel like I have heard an opposite story from other officials.  The head coach ASKED for a flag post-halftime so he justify his complaint to the AD about the band.  Presumably there was a personal beef between the HC and Band Director.  Which wouldn't be the first time. 

I have had that as well, a couple of times as I recall. 

1 hour ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

Don't care how many D1 recruits the state of Alabama has, most Indiana teams would blast most Alabama teams out of the water

Bottom Alabama teams would make Cambridge City Lincoln look like a state championship contender

What’s that have to do with the band?

This seems like a bit of an overkill, imho.  I understand that some band directors are quite proud of their group, but that's what band competitions are for.  They are the halftime entertainment for the football game and that's all.  But I can't see any circumstances where the band director needs to be tased.  Way overboard!

15 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

This seems like a bit of an overkill, imho.  I understand that some band directors are quite proud of their group, but that's what band competitions are for.  They are the halftime entertainment for the football game and that's all.  But I can't see any circumstances where the band director needs to be tased.  Way overboard!

It sounds like we're missing pieces from this story. Cops don't just tase people for no reason. 

• Haha 1

It was no secret during my playing days at my high school alma mater that at least 50% of the people in the stands were there to just watch the marching band perform at halftime. And almost all of them left after halftime and the performance was over.

• Like 1