Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Worst Weather Games

What are some of the worst weather games in Indiana high school football history?  It will be about 24 degrees at game time at WL tonight.  I can't remember anything this cold at game time for an Indiana high school football game since 1991.

Ev. Memorial at Cathedral in 1992 3A South Semi-State at Arlington. Field was nothing but slushy frozen mud and a sleet/snow mix was blowing at 20+ mph. Punts into the wind almost went backwards. By far the coldest I have ever been in my life. 

Edited by tango

My Senior year, Regional game vs Jimtown, it was so cold that I wore gloves (never did). Just putting your hand in the dirt made your fingers freeze up it felt like. After the first series of the game I came out and had to put my hands up to the industrial-strength heater we had (one of the ones they tell you not to touch or get too close to under any circumstances) for about 5 minutes to get the life back into them. No clue if it was 24 degrees that night but it felt like it. I think that's what I would say was my worst weather game experience. 

The week before, sectional championship vs Marian, the wind was insanely strong. Like a pass couldn't even be completed strong. We ended up moving that game to Saturday. If we had played that Friday I think I would've said that's the worst weather game I had ever played in. 

For me 2006 Norwell @ New Prairie in the regional game. Can't remember exacts details other than it being the most miserable I've ever been in my life weather wise. But if I recall correctly it was a rainstorm the first quarter creating a incredibly muddy field with no traction; I remember watching a punt just stick in the mud, no bounce, not an ounce of movement the second it hit the ground. But then around the 2nd quarter/halftime the temperature dropped big time creating a sleet/snow mix the rest of the game. I remember players not being able to open up their lockers after the game because their fingers had no dexterity or grip.

• Like 1

Last year. Sectional Semi-Final at South Adams. Brutal cold and rain all night. Not the fun kind of mud bowl...unless you won the game...which we didn't lol. One of those memories that both players and coaches on both ends will never forget. Heck, my feet are still cold and wet from the standing water on the sidelines and the 4 inch deep mud. Part of what makes our game so unique. 

sddefault.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

For me 2006 Norwell @ New Prairie in the regional game. Can't remember exacts details other than it being the most miserable I've ever been in my life weather wise. But if I recall correctly it was a rainstorm the first quarter creating a incredibly muddy field with no traction; I remember watching a punt just stick in the mud, no bounce, not an ounce of movement the second it hit the ground. But then around the 2nd quarter/halftime the temperature dropped big time creating a sleet/snow mix the rest of the game. I remember players not being able to open up their lockers after the game because their fingers had no dexterity or grip.

I was the Referee in that game. It was my absolute worst in my career. The mud ruts on the field froze during the 2nd half and you risked turning an ankle with every step. Norwell’s Chandler Harnish was the only one who could get any traction, it seemed. We wore white knickers in those days. I left mine in the locker room trash can. They were beyond salvage. That’s the most uncomfortable I’ve ever been on a football field.

• Like 1

2016 Semi State hosting Pioneer. Was nice pregame and then the severe thunderstorms hit. Temperature dropped drastically in the rain & wind. It was hard walking down the bleachers with frozen arms & legs. I was hoping LCC would have been the opponent in that weather but instead Kizer & the Panthers began their tear in 1A North.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

Last year. Sectional Semi-Final at South Adams. Brutal cold and rain all night. Not the fun kind of mud bowl...unless you won the game...which we didn't lol. One of those memories that both players and coaches on both ends will never forget. Heck, my feet are still cold and wet from the standing water on the sidelines and the 4 inch deep mud. Part of what makes our game so unique. 

sddefault.jpg

Was there a uniform change at the half?

1 hour ago, tango said:

Ev. Memorial at Cathedral in 1992 3A South Semi-State at Arlington. Field was nothing but slushy frozen mud and a sleet/snow mix was blowing at 20+ mph. Punts into the wind almost went backwards. By far the coldest I have ever been in my life. 

I wasn’t at this game, but 2017 Memorial/Danville game has been the worst conditions in recent years, that’s what I have been told

1 hour ago, Justasportsfan said:

Mud bowl with penn n Snider in 97..2016 rocks n Panthers game was cold n rainy as well..never wished for snow until I felt a mid November rain storm..

I remember that game well. I have that team ranked 4th on Snider's all-time list. Although if someone wanted to debate #1, I wouldn't give much opposition. You could mix the 86, 92, 97, and 04 teams in a hat and rank them randomly. 

What about the 2002 game at Homestead? FREEZING

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

2016 Semi State hosting Pioneer. Was nice pregame and then the severe thunderstorms hit. Temperature dropped drastically in the rain & wind. It was hard walking down the bleachers with frozen arms & legs. I was hoping LCC would have been the opponent in that weather but instead Kizer & the Panthers began their tear in 1A North.

I was there for that one. The weather change was ridiculous. 

35 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I wasn’t at this game, but 2017 Memorial/Danville game has been the worst conditions in recent years, that’s what I have been told

1992 was Danville except colder and frozen mud instead of artificial turf. The lights did work the entire game though..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

Old school here.........  1975 state 3A (biggest class) championship. Carmel at Valpo.  Temps were in the teens, wind chill up to -40.  It played a major part in grounding the Mark Herrmann air attack for Carmel.  Valpo won 14-13.

The Nov 70s were Brutal!! 

47 minutes ago, Titandad71 said:

2013 @brebuf, never been that cold, windy, frigid, snowy. the outcome of the game didn't help.

Agreed, I was THERE! 

Sounded pretty cool playing the featured game on Saturday, until "Mother Nature" changed the entire thang....

Edited by Yuccaguy
  • Like 1